Some Like it Hot!
21 January 2014 by Ailsa Burns
Last week, the SustainIt team headed to Knowle West for a Middle Eastern cookery class at the Square Food Foundation. Square Food Foundation teaches basic cookery and other life skills to those facing exclusion or disadvantage. They are a Community Interest Company which means that every penny from running their Enthusiast Masterclasses is used to fund their community work.
The specification was to take us somewhere warmer and sunnier and ‘Some Like It Hot’ was the title of the menu created by founder, Barny Haugton. The menu definitely did not disappoint;
- Spiced flat breads
- Chicory, radicchio, hazelnut & pomegranate salad
- Celeriac, fava bean, radicchio & mint salad
- True harissa with red peppers, purple sprouting, chickpeas & lemon
- Roast sweet potatoes with sumac-breadcrumbs, yogurt & avocado dressing
- Saffron chicken & fennel salad with boiled orange dressing
- Grilled mackerel, yoghurt, tarragon & onion
There were lots of technical demonstrations including how to fillet a fish and how to carve a chicken as well as handy tips and tricks for making flat breads and seasoning salads.
As always, we had a competitive aspect! The winning team who have the chance to help Barny out at the BBC Radio 4 Food and Farming Awards in May.
The delicious food was accompanied by some delightful Lebanese wine. However, it was not only tasty food that we got to enjoy, it gave the team a chance to bond, to work on those time management skills and perfect their culinary expertise while supporting a fantastic local initiative.